- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total: 55 minutes
- Serves: 5
Take a soft corn tortilla and fry it until it's light and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and you have a puffy taco shell. The combination of these crisp shells with saucy lamb mole filling, avocado salsa and cabbage slaw makes each bite of these tacos a masterpiece of flavor and texture. And they're still quick to make- just one extra step using two on-hand ingredients (tortillas and oil). We love the bold, slightly sweet flavor of lamb in the mole filling, but beef will work too, to make the rich filling inside the warm, crisp shells.
1 cup thawed frozen whole kernel corn
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced (about 1 cup)
½ cup minced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Thomas Farms® Ground Lamb
2 cups minced sweet onion
¼ cup mole sauce
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
Vegetable oil for frying (about 4 cups)
15 corn tortillas (6-inch)
1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Mix the corn, avocado, red onion, cilantro and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place the cabbage into a medium bowl. Add the olive oil and 1 teaspoon lime juice and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook until starting to brown, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat. Add the sweet onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Stir in the mole sauce and tomatoes and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a heavy saucepot (oil should be about 4 inches deep). Heat over medium-high heat (you'll want the oil temperature around 350°F.). Add 1 tortilla to the hot oil. When it begins to puff, press the middle down with kitchen tongs so that it bends into the shape of a taco shell. Cook for another 1 ½ minutes, holding the middle down, until the taco shell is puffed, browned and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve the lamb mixture and the cabbage mixture in the taco shells, topped with the avocado mixture and the cheese. Serve with lime wedges on the side, if desired.
Substitution Tip: Use any of your favorite Thomas Farms® Ground Meats (Beef, Meatloaf Mix, Pork, or Veal).