Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 16 Minutes
1 tablespoon Southwestern spice rub or taco seasoning
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons grated lime zest (from about 3 limes)
1 Thomas Farms Rack of Lamb, (about 1 ¾ pounds/8 ribs), thoroughly trimmed of all excess fat
1 tablespoon olive oil
Applewood chips for grilling (follow the package directions to prepare for use)
7 ounces coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ to 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
- Mix the spice rub and 1 tablespoon lime zest. Brush the lamb with the oil and rub with the spice mixture. Let the lamb stand for 20 minutes (or cover and refrigerate overnight- bring to room temperature before cooking).
- Lightly oil the grill rack and heat one side of the grill to medium-high. When heated, add the applewood chips (follow package directions for placement) and close the grill. Cover the exposed bones on the lamb rack with foil.
- Place the lamb on the grill rack over direct heat, bone-side down. Grill for 10 minutes (lid closed). Turn the lamb over and move to cook on indirect heat, meat-side down (lid closed) for another 3 minutes.
- Move the lamb, meat-side down, back to direct heat to sear for 2 to 3 minutes (lid open) or until the internal temperature reaches 135° (for medium-rare) and the exterior is browned and crisp. Remove the lamb from the grill and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While the lamb is standing, mix the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, chipotle chili, lime juice and the remaining 2 teaspoons lime zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the coleslaw mixture with the lamb.