- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 8 Minutes
- Total: 28 minutes
- Serves 4
Kofta are like meatballs but with a massive upgrade- ground lamb seasoned with garam masala and cilantro, grilled and served in warm pita with a cool harissa yogurt sauce. And they're easier to make, too! Just shape the meat mixture and slide onto skewers to cook on the grill. The bold flavor of ground lamb is great in this recipe, but ground beef will work as well. Try these kofta skewers at your next cookout- they're easy to scale up for a crowd, with a chickpea salad that can be made ahead and refrigerated until serving time!
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped jarred marinated roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 pound Thomas Farms® Ground Lamb
½ cup diced onion
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon harissa seasoning
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 pieces pita bread or naan, warmed
- Mix the chickpeas, roasted peppers, 3 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Mix the lamb, onion, the garam masala, 1 tablespoon harissa seasoning and the cilantro in a large bowl. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Shape into 12 oval meatballs, then skewer (3 meatballs per skewer). Place the skewers on a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Stir the yogurt, remaining 1 teaspoon harissa seasoning and remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Lightly oil the grill rack and heat the grill to high. Grill the skewers for 8 minutes or until the lamb mixture is cooked through, turning over halfway through the grilling time.
- Remove and discard the skewers. Spread the yogurt mixture on the pita bread and top with the lamb. Garnish with baby spinach leaves, if desired. Serve with the chickpea salad.
Substitution Tip: Use any of your favorite Thomas Farms® Ground Meats (Beef, Meatloaf Mix, Pork, or Veal).