- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Serves 6
1 pound Thomas Farms Meatloaf Mix (ground beef, pork, and veal)
1 onion, grated or finely chopped (about ½ cup)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon milk
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon table salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
4 cups vegetable oil
12 slices thick-sliced white bread, crusts trimmed off
1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
6 tablespoons tartar sauce
3 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- Place the meat, onion, 2 tablespoons panko, 1 egg (beaten), milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and shape into 6 balls. Toss the balls from hand to hand about 5 times (this will release some of the air inside the mixture and make the patties less likely to break apart during frying. Shape the balls into oval patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the flour, the remaining 2 eggs and the remaining 1 cup panko into 3 separate shallow bowls. Beat the eggs.
- Handle the patties carefully, coat the chilled patties in the flour. Dip the patties into the eggs and coat with the panko.
- Heat the oil in a heavy 3 1/2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat to about 340°F. While the oil is heating, layer a baking sheet with paper towels and top with a wire rack.
- Cook the patties, 2 at a time, for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain the fried patties on the wire rack over the paper towels.
- Layer 6 bread slices with the following: about 2 tablespoons cabbage, 1 patty, 1 tablespoon tartar sauce, about ½ teaspoon sriracha and another bread slice. Cut each sandwich into thirds. Serve immediately.
To keep the meat mixture from sticking to your hands when you shape the patties, coat your hands with vegetable oil first.