3 pounds Thomas Farms Boneless Leg of Lamb (remove netting)
6 cloves garlic, peeled
Grated zest and juice from 1 orange
Grated zest from 1 lime
Juice from 2 limes
¼ cup warm water
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
1 extra-large red onion (about 14 ounces)
¼ teaspoon sugar
½ cup low sodium chicken broth
20 corn tortillas (6-inch), warmed
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Place the garlic, orange zest, orange juice, lime zest, half the lime juice, water, chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1 ½ teaspoons salt in a blender. Cover and blend until the mixture is smooth. Remove half the blended mixture from the blender and reserve to stir into the cooked lamb later.
- To marinate the lamb, pour the remaining blended mixture into a nonmetallic bowl. Add the lamb and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove the lamb from the refrigerator and discard the marinade 30 minutes before cooking.
- Lightly oil the grill rack and heat one side of the grill to medium. Cut the onion in half. Cut one half into ½-inch thick slices. Arrange the onion slices on the grill rack over indirect heat. Place the lamb on the sliced onion.
- Grill over indirect heat for 3 hours (lid closed) or until the lamb is fork-tender (no need to turn the lamb during grilling). Remove the lamb and onion to a cutting board. Chop the onion. Cut the lamb into slices, then, using 2 forks, shred the slices.
- While the lamb is grilling, make the pickled onion. Cut the remaining onion half into thin slices. In a microwaveable bowl, stir the thinly sliced onion, remaining lime juice, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and the sugar. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 1 ½ minutes. Stir and let stand.