Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
1 Package Thomas Farms Grass Fed Ground Beef
1 Small White Onion, minced
1 Carrot, minced⠀
2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced⠀
1/2 Can Tomato Paste
1 Cup Beef Broth⠀
2 Crescent Roll Tubes⠀
1/2 Tbl (each) - Cumin, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, Thyme⠀
1. Add butter in a cast iron skillet and set to medium-low heat. Add in onion, garlic and carrots into skillet and cook until translucent (about 10 minutes). Remove and set aside.⠀
2. Season ground beef with salt and pepper and add into skillet. Cook until nicely browned. Add in spices, then add in cooked onion, carrots, and garlic. Mix all ingredients together and set to low heat.⠀
3. Add in tomato paste and beef broth. Mix well and let ingredients simmer for 5 minutes. (This will keep your empanada filling from drying out while baking.)
4. Unwrap both crescent roll tubes, then knead and roll out dough with rolling pin. Cut out a 7" circle and place onto a well-floured cutting board. Take two spoonfuls of the mixture and place into the center of the dough. Fold dough into a half-moon and pinch down all sides to seal the empanada. Use a fork to make a patterned imprint along the edge. Whisk an egg and apply the wash onto each empanada.
5. Set oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheet with canola oil, and place on all empanadas. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until dough is golden-brown.⠀
6. Serve with your favorite salsa, queso, or sour cream.