This recipe was created and photographed by our Monthly Giveaway Winner for the month of October: Josephine Chan! To enter our monthly giveaways, follow us on Facebook!
For the Meat Filling
1.5 lbs Thomas Farms Grass Fed Ground Beef
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup of frozen/ fresh peas
1 cup of frozen/ fresh sweet corn
40g all purpose flour
20g tomato paste
500 ml low sodium beef broth
125 ml red wine (or water)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
3 dried bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to Taste
For the Mashed Potatoes
2.5 lb potatoes , peeled and cut into 1" cubes
165 ml milk, room temperature
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
For the Parmesean Crust
2 tbsp butter, melted
4 tbsp parmesan, grated
To make the meat filling:
- Heat oil in a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add sweet corn and pears. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Add the thyme, salt and pepper. Stir well. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add flour and mix in. Add tomato paste, beef broth, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir until well incorporated and no clumps of tomato paste remain.
- Bring to simmer, then turn down heat to medium high so it is simmering rapidly. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reduces down to a gravy consistency.
- Set the meat mixture aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make the potato topping.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Return the potatoes to the hot pot. Let the potatoes rest in the hot pot for 1 minute to evaporate any remaining liquid.
- Add butter, milk, salt, and pepper. Mash the potatoes and stir until all the ingredients are mixed together.
Assemble the casserole.
- Pour the meat mixture into a baking dish. Spread it out into an even layer. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat. Carefully spread into an even layer.
- Put the melted butter on the top and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.