- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Serves 4
1 Thomas Farms Leg of Lamb, minced in food processor
1 tablespoon cooking oil, canola, olive, coconut, or grapeseed
1 large chopped onion, yellow or white
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garam masala (optional)
1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon mild chili powder
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika powder (optional)
1/2 tablespoon turmeric (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies, drain and reserve juice, as instructed
1 tablespoon apple vinegar, white vinegar, or lime juice
Hand Pie Ingredients:
2-3 potatoes, about 1/4-inch cubes or frozen O’Brien potatoes
1/2 cup chopped carrots, or frozen carrots
1/2 cup or desired amount frozen peas
2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro, optional
1 pkg (2-count) frozen pie shells, thawed
1 egg, whisk with 1 tablespoon water
For Spiced Lamb:
Cut leg of lamb into chunks. Sprinkle all of the spices and salt over lamb chunks. In batches, place lamb chunks into food processor bowl and pulse until diced. Alternative: Dice by hand.
- In a large skillet, on medium-high, heat cooking oil. Add onions and cook, stirring often, 4 minutes.
- Add diced and spiced lamb, and cook on medium-high, stirring often, 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and green chilies, and simmer, 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar or lime juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper. Divide spiced lamb into two equal portions. Reserve half of the spiced lamb for hand pies or an alternative healthy side-dish (see options above).
For Hand Pies:
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine cubed potatoes and carrots in a micro-safe bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons water, cover, and cook on high to steam for 4 minutes or until softened. Drain.
- Cook frozen peas in microwave as instructed on package, and drain.
- Combine spiced lamb and vegetables. Season to taste.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour, and unroll pie crusts, pinching together any cracks. Brush egg wash about 2-inches around outer edge.
- With a pizza cutter or knife cut each pie crust into quarters, making 8 wedges total. Top 4 of the wedges with 1/2 cup lamb filling. Place the remaining dough wedges over the top and gently stretch to seal. With fork, press edges to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serves 4 large hand pies with extra filling.